The uncertainty that plagues this year's college football season is just another in a long line of reasons division I football needs a playoff.
As the beauty pageant rages on into the rivalry weekends, here is my Top 10 teams in the collegiate "bowl sub-division." The rankings are based upon which teams I would favor against any other team in the nation.
1. LSU (9-1)- They have the nation's most physical and tenacious team.
Achilles Heel: Penalties, turnovers, and the reckless stupidity of Les Miles have made this team vulnerable at times this season.
2. Oklahoma (9-1)- Just flat nasty on both sides of the ball. A collapse in the final seven minutes in Boulder earlier in the season is the Sooner's lone blemish. They'll win the Big 12 no problem.
Achilles Heel: Inexperience.
3. West Virginia (8-1)- Fast, fast, fast with a tremendous offense.
Achilles Heel: Defense, penalties, and overall stupidity.
4. Florida (7-3)- The Tebow show in full swing is a site to see. They are the nation's fastest team, and when Urban Meyer has a good game plan the Gators will pound almost any opponent to dust.
Achilles Heel: Inexperience and Urban Meyer's stubbornness to keep hacking away with a game plan that is ineffective.
5. Oregon (8-1)- The Ducks' spread offense is lethal in the Pac-10. They are disciplined and well coached with a defense that causes a lot of turnovers.
Achilles Heel: The defense is as ineffective as their offense has proven affective. Their defense causes a lot of turnovers because they play in the Pac-10, but their offense turns the ball over as much as their defense takes it away.
6. Missouri (9-1)- The experts actually got one right. Their spread-option offense is as good as it gets.
Achilles Heel: They have been largely untested in the Big 12 North division, and their defense gives up a lot of points.
7. Virginia Tech (8-2)- They are the only team in the ACC with enough talent to boast a top 10 rating.
Achilles Heel: Turnovers, uncertainty at quarterback, and Frank Beamer.
8. Georgia (8-2)- I really hesitate to rank the Bulldogs this high, but truth be told, there's no one else left I would favor over them.
Achilles Heel: Inexperience and irrelevance....they're Georgia.
9. Kansas (10-0)- The nation's lone unbeaten in major conference play. They score a lot.
Achilles Heel: They're not very good at football. I'll shut up if they beat Mizzou and OU, but it's not happening. No defense= losses against good teams. Also, their coach may keel over on the sideline at any moment.
10. Ohio State (10-1)- Just SO pedestrian, but there's no one left. They play in a entirely pathetic Big 10, so their testing has been 'nil all year.
Achilles Heel: The entire team. Sloppy on special teams. Porous on defense, and streaky on offense.
Teams that have no business in the discussion: Arizona State, USC, Hawaii, Boise State, Texas, Boston College, and Cincinnati.