I don't watch movies a whole lot anymore, not even at home. Having said that, I do love good movies. Here is my top 10 movies of all-time.
10. The Usual Suspects- It was one of the great surprise endings of all-time, but the story line is great even if you know it's coming.
Best line: (looking through his rifle scope counting targets) "1,2,3,4,5,6....7..8,9. Oswald was a fag."
9. Father of The Bride- A great "romantic comedy." I always knew I would have daughters, so even at a fairly young age this movie was a favorite of mine.
Best line: Martin Short's character in his thick accent. "Haaaonk! Haonk is a ginus, ond wee nid his mond."
8. Last of The Mohicans- The great American frontier on the big screen. It has great acting and a incredible soundtrack.
Best line: British Officer:, "and you call yourself an Englishman and loyal subject to the crown?"
Hawkeye: "I do not call myself subject to much at all."
7. Top Gun- Did any guy who watched this movie as a kid not want to be a Navy pilot?
Best line: "I feel the need...the need...for speed."
6. Van Wilder- I just love this movie. I think the Tuesday & Co. crew watched it at least 5 or 6 dozen times.
Best line: "If he's here, who's running hell?"
5. Caddyshack- It's an all-star cast, a bunch of quotable lines, and it just doesn't get old for me.
Best line: "So I jumped ship in Hong Kong..." and all that follows.
4. The Godfather- I think most guys have an intrigue with the masculine power trip of the mafia. It's pure drama and entertainment for like six hours.
Best line: "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." (Can it really be anything else?)
3. Animal House- Simply the one of the greatest any way you slice it. It's funny, nuanced, and clever...yet outright hilarious.
Best line: "Boone, I anticipate a deeply religious experience."
2. Last Samurai- It's on of the most epic movies I've ever seen. It glorifies honor, discipline, and brotherhood. The acting and cinematography is incredible. If you haven't seen it yet, you need to.
Best line: "My thanks, on behalf of those who died in the name of better mechanical amusements and commercial opportunities."
1. Tombstone- It's a man's movie. Gunfighting, sex, and humor rolled into one neat package.
Best line: "Oh. I'm sorry, Johnny I forgot you were there. You may go now."
Honorable Mention: Ghostbusters, Big Fish, Secondhand Lions, Emperor's New Groove, The Harry Potter Series, Tommy Boy, Batman Begins, The Bourne Series, First Knight, and almost any "Happy Madison" production.
Quasi-Honorable Mention: Field of Dreams...are we cool now, Tiff?
What are yours?
Have a great Wednesday!