Tuesday, November 4, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

By Taft Ayers













Did you go to worship on Sunday?

At this point, you might be screaming at your computer screen...."Taft, who do you think you are to judge me?"

Many thoughts run through your head:

1. I WAS SICK
2. FAMILY WAS IN TOWN
3. I GAVE UP ON "CHURCH" A LONG TIME AGO
4. SUNDAYS ARE MY ONLY DAY OFF
5. MY SATURDAY NIGHTS AREN'T CONDUCIVE TO SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP
6. I AM TOO TIRED
7. I AM WAY TO EMBARRASSED TO GO
8. THE PEOPLE I HANG WITH WOULDN'T DARKEN THE DOOR AND NEITHER DO I

However you feel about the subject, the fella in the picture should bring hope to your everyday life.

No, not the little guy. The little fella's name is Pierce. He goes to church camp with several churches and we know him from that. The fella on the right.

That's Colt McCoy. He has a great shot at winning the Heisman. Also, an outside shot at the National Title.

The reason this pictures is so significant is that he was humiliated in front of thousands on Saturday night when his team (he's the QB for the Texas Longhorns) lost to Texas Tech and they were dethroned from their #1 ranking on National TV.

Colt woke his tail up and went to worship the next day. This picture was taken at a local Church of Christ in Austin, TX. When Pierce's mother sent the message, she said that "Colt kept apologizing for his busted lip, saying 'things got a little rough last night' and that he was very polite."

That earns my RESPECT.

A college kid.

Probably cried a river Saturday night.

Many teammates were probably hungover Sunday morning.

I'm not setting him up as an icon, but I am saying, pay the kid his respect. His secular struggles didn't deter him from his spiritual responsibilities.

I don't think you become a holy person by walking through the doors of a church building or by checking an attendance card. When I walk in to a nice restaurant it doesn't make me a connoisseur of fine food. However, what I do know is that people who strive to be holy make it a point to walk through those doors.

Think on these things.

Due to my natural love affair for Tim Tebow, this was hard to write, but very necessary.

No comments: